Spurt is a common stage that happens in every baby as a mannerism of its first growth. Baby growth spurts are considered to be an important stage for every mother. During this stage, your baby may entitle gaining weight, growing in length, and development in head circumference quickly than usual. This may also have an impact on your baby’s brain stimuli and skillset growth.
In breastfed babies, growth spurts can be noticed when your baby consumes more milk than its usual, whereas baby growth spurts formula-fed babies may have increased appetite and feel hungry quite often during the stage.
Read Also: Infant CPR: A Complete Guide
Today, the information that you obtain from this blog acts as a complete parental guide for how to deal with baby growth spurts, and how long do baby growth spurts long? Each parent should know about this growth spurts because this is from where your child’s growth starts deliberately, and many get panic without knowing whether it is a good or bad condition to the child.
How to recognize if your baby is under the growth spurts condition?
There are three activities that your baby keeps performing during the baby growth spurts stage.
- More night outs or sleepy nights
Before your baby enters into the baby growth spurt stage, it tends to have sleepless nights or keep sleeping more. Some babies deliver the tendency of sleeping for more time in the nights and some may not sleep at all in the nights spoiling your sleep as well and does its job in the day times.
If your baby sleeps the entire night and it is not breastfed, do not wake it up and interrupt her sleep. Because scientists say that the baby growth spurts can happen when the baby is on complete rest. So it can happen even in the day time if your baby does not sleep in the night. Do not worry if you come across such conditions, just your baby is growing.
- Unusual hungry
During growth spurts, your baby may feel hungrier than it does usual and drinks more milk or keeps wanting milk often while breastfeeding. This is not an uncertain stage, and it is time for you to realize that your baby is growing through the spurt stage. Make sure that your body produces enough milk to feed your baby and fulfill its appetite. In case you have an issue with breastfeeding or cannot produce much milk, it is advisable to consult your doctor for further movement.
Read Also: When Do Babies Sit Up
If your baby is a formula-fed baby, then keep enough stock to feed whenever it cries due to hungry. Babies that sleep all night may suddenly wake up for food and be ready to feed whenever needed.
- Behave crazy
You will certainly enjoy this stage of your baby being dramatic and acting as if it knows everything through imitating every single thing it comes across. You might be wondering how such a baby could perform such activities and feel happy with this. But this may not last for a long time; when your baby crosses the growth spurts stage, these activities can come down and your baby calms down. You should cuddle and soothe your child often when it does cranky things during this stage.
Read Also: When Do Babies Smile? Parenting Guide
At what frequency baby growth spurts occur?
Baby growth spurts are likely to occur in the first year to every baby. Your baby is no exception in experiencing it because you love seeing it grow right. These are the times when you can observe growth spurts in your baby:
- When your baby is 1 to 3 weeks of age, the first growth spurt begins.
- Next, you can observe it after 6 weeks of age, which is followed by 3 months, 6 months, and in the last 9 months.
As long as your baby is hungrier, sleeping throughout the day or night, and performing some dramatic activities, you need not worry about its growth at all. It is perfectly growing according to its growth cycle.
What should you do to your baby during growth spurts?
- Feed them often when they cry: If you find your child is breastfed with 3 hours gap between each time, then it is normal. In case it cries for milk in 2 hours gap, then be patient enough to breastfeed in that frequency, as it is undergoing growth spurts. This may not last long for more days and extra feeds you take up for your baby ensures growth. If your baby is formula-fed, make sure it is fed extra before the meal.
- Comfort their sleep: If your baby does night outs during growth spurts, it might be difficult for you to manage your sleep at night. But be little patient towards your baby and make it sleep comfortably during this stage. Even if it sleeps in the day time, make sure that it feels warm with your presence.
- Take care of your health: How important you think that your baby’s health is, that important is your health too. You should eat properly and take sufficient rest to deal with your baby’s hunger and sleep. Have nutritional and light food that does not create any allergies to your baby in case you are a breastfeeding mother. Keep yourself arranged with an option to take care of your baby in case you are resting.
- Monitor your baby’s overall health: During the growth spurts stage, observe the differences that your baby experiences and how often it occurs so that you will know how well it is growing. Moreover, have a check on its overall health and if you find anything unusual even after growth spurts, consult a pediatrician immediately.
Read Also: 10 Best Baby Formulas You Can Buy In 2020
Every baby undergoes baby growth spurts stage at least 4 to 5 times within the year it is born. If there is a problem, you can wait for some time and then check with your child’s doctor. You can share opinions of your baby’s growth spurts stage activities with us, by writing to us, and hoping this blog was helpful and informative.